When we refinish a house, the main attention is always paid to the kitchen. The kitchen is one of the most important areas of the house. Kitchen upgrades can be heavy in pockets and time-consuming. We always wish to have sturdy and beautiful countertops in our kitchen. There are plenty of options available when it comes to kitchen slabs. This makes it difficult for us to make an ideal choice. The right choice will transform the whole look of the kitchen and will go long. This is not a one-day thing and is expensive on the pocket, so making the right choice is very important.
There are plenty of options like quartz slab, granite, onyx, limestone, sandstone, slate, etc. These can be classified on the basis of:
- Color- You will find many basic color options like beige, black, blue, brown, green, gray, white, etc. All the basic colors are easily available and you can match the color as per the interior. You can choose the color in contrast as well.
- Texture- You will find many textures in slabs like coarse grain, elegant, fine grain, long vein, medium grain, natural, short vein, and solid. All these are nice and the choice totally depends upon your preference.
- Look- You will have many options in this category like composite, concrete, granite, limestone, marble, onyx, quartzite, sandstone, slate, terrazzo, and travertine.
- Design- Everyone has different choices, so as per your overall interior, you should choose the design or kitchen style. Some of the options are bohemian, classic, contemporary, industrial, minimalist, modern, Scandinavian, and urban.
- Collection- Some of the options in this category are boutique, Calcutta, celestial, concrete, constellation, earth, Ganges, Ju prana, le Magnifique, renaissance, rock, and terrazzo.
- Application- Some options in the application are fireplace mantel, furniture tops, interior cladding, interior flooring, kitchen countertops, and shower and tub surround.
Above are some of the top categories in slabs. While choosing the countertop, especially for your kitchen, we have to take into consideration many things like looks, material, sturdiness, aesthetics, etc. Also, as per the use, you have to take the decision if you have children, your countertop might stay messy, so you should choose one which is easy to clean and not prone to staining.
Following are some points highlighting how to select the right countertop for your kitchen:
- Durability- It is important to go for those kitchen countertops that are sturdy and strong. Marble is never the right option as it is porous and requires maintenance. Also, it requires proper cleaning as it is prone to stains and starches. Granite is a better option as it looks aesthetically better. Marble countertops are an impractical option in comparison to other countertops.
- Less maintenance- Quartz is the best option as it requires less maintenance. It is not prone to stains and it is sturdy. It is non-porous and scratch resistant. And the best part is that it can be easily installed by the homeowner.
- Thickness- It is important for the kitchen countertops to be thick enough to bear the weight. For kitchen countertops, 3 centimeters is the ideal thickness for both quartz slab and granite slab. If you go with 1-2 centimeters of the countertop, know that you have to get it replaced in a few years as it won’t be strong enough in comparison to 3 centimeters.
- Choose a style- As per your interior and your choice, you should select the right style for your kitchen. If you like modern style, you can have a soapstone countertop. For a vintage look, you can go with a marble countertop. There are plenty of options available in style and color, so you can make a choice accordingly.
- Easy to repair- One should invest in those which are easy to repair like quartz, marble, etc. If we do the overall comparison, quartz is very easy to maintain. Though the need for repairing rarely occurs, even if it does, the process is very simple and easy.
- Lighting- Many of us are always confused when it comes to the color of our counterparts. If you have a small kitchen and do not have access to natural sunlight, the kitchen should go with a light-colored countertop with some marble effects or some light patterns. And if your kitchen enters some natural light, you can go with dark color countertops.
- Heat-resistance- When it comes to kitchen counterparts, it is important to go with those materials which are heat resistant like quartz, marble, or granite. Material like onyx, terrazzo, or recycled glass. They are prone to heat damage and are not advised especially for the kitchen counterparts.
- Prices- There is no doubt that granite, quartz, or marble are a bit expensive but in terms of durability they are the best. You need not get the change for years. On the other hand, other options might be less expensive but will not go for the long run. So, it is better to go with granite, quartz, etc. options as they will be worth every penny. Also, it looks aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.
- Colors- Sometimes it gets difficult to get the exact color as per the interior of the kitchen. You can go with some classic colors like beige, ivory, white, brown, etc. These colors look good with other colors in contrast. Mix-and-match colors always work.
So above are some points highlighting how to select the right countertop for your kitchen. Seeking help from the interior designer, kitchen manufacturer, etc. always helps in choosing the right countertop for your kitchen. While choosing the countertop, make sure to choose the right manufacturers and providers. You can go to their online platform and look at their previous projects to get a glimpse of their work. You can ask for their quotation to know the prices for easy comparison with others. There are many options but a quartz stone slab is always the best and preferred option among all. But make the choice as per your needs, choices, and preferences.